Staff Engagement for Performance Improvement | Stepshift

Staff Engagement for Performance Improvement

Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009

We all know that when we are fully engaged our performance and productivity improves. Now let’s be clear: this is often not a subtle improvement – it can be dramatic and it is often referred to as ‘discretionary effort’ (e.g. the difference in the level of effort one is capable of bringing to a task, and the effort required to just ‘get by’). Workplace research tells us that 25% of staff feel engaged with their employer and are therefore likely to be exercising that full discretionary effort. Where are the other 75%? This is a gap that leaders need to explore and bridge because it contains their competitive advantage and a significant chunk of their margin – staff engagement leads to performance improvement which leads to organisational results.

How do you bridge that gap? Well first you need to quantify it and when this is done in a tailored and professional way you can also uncover what the key factors are that contribute to staff engagement and what contributes to staff disengagement. The other option is obviously to do what many organisations do and ignore it but often these same organisations are spending a lot of resource on business development initiatives that will have far less impact on their business than bridging this staff engagement, performance improvement gap. The factors that enable and disable engagement will vary from organisation to organisation and once found can often be reasonably straightforward to impact. With a recent client it was discovered that one of their key disablers of staff engagement was a reluctance to deal with poor performance, and as this was addressed, morale and performance improved markedly.

Are you getting the best from your people, are they engaged with the business and giving their best? If not take the time to find out how you can alter that and get the best return from your most valuable asset.

Find out how Business Coaching and Consulting can benefit your team or your organisation or contact a Stepshift partner to discuss your leadership requirements.

Return to the Stepshift Leadership Blog.

< Back to Blog