Building Effective Relationships
Thursday, October 14th, 2010
Achieving leadership outcomes with ease
Relationship is the state of being connected (Collins English Dictionary).
Leadership is not practised in a vacuum. Every leader needs the ability to build and maintain relationships – both within the organisation and externally with key stakeholders. For a relationship to exist, a connection is required. Leaders who build meaningful connections with people have a platform for influencing and leading them. Without that connection, the opportunity for influence is compromised.
Essential building blocks for building effective relationships are:
- Establishing rapport
- Understanding, tuning into and acknowledging other perspectives
- Having an attitude of trust and openness
- Being congruent
- Self-awareness and self-management
Stepshift leadership coaching can assist you to:
- Learn the critical importance of rapport and how to establish rapport
- Tap into other perspectives and use this to enhance your relationships and leadership skills
- Utilise emotional intelligence competencies of empathy, self-awareness and self-management enhance your ability to influence others